Monday, February 8, 2016

Run Gum + World Indoors!

The Falls during Winter time
Look at those hills
I know I know, it's been a while! But since the New Year started, I think 2016 is finally going to be my year of running! I just recently registered for the Buckmountain Mudslinger which is a brutal 6.5 mile run through Silverfalls Oregon (picture is pretty relevant). I'm hoping to keep a constant pace of 6'45" through the hills. When I'm up at the falls, I tend to have trouble finding any GPS signal so I might just set splits to hit at miles four and 1.3 so I can just have a stop watch keeping track of my progress.

Look at this sick badge. So official. 
Back in Fall, I applied to a few Running Ambassador Positions, namely BibRave and RunGum. BibRave is a website where you can review your races and help others find out more before they themselves register. I find it fun to just talk about what you did and what kind of great experience you had. It's a growing community and they also have fun chats on Twitter with some great give-aways. I didn't get selected as a BibRave ambassador, but I got some exciting news on the tail-end of December notifying me that I got selected as a RunGum ambassador! I'm now part of the #RunSquad which is a really tight community of runners who share their running experiences and help each other find opportunities, races, or training tips.

I recently connected with an opportunity that was posted on the page. You might remember that I volunteered with Ally at TrackTownUSA up in Portland talking about the World Indoor Championships. I recently found out they had started to recruit volunteers to help with the setting-up and hosting of the event. I forced Ally to sign-up with me but we secured two volunteering shifts at the athlete warm-up section! This is super exciting because we also are volunteering on the last couple days! (Hopefully during the Finals???) All the athletes we will see will be top-tier in the world and faster and stronger than I could ever imagine being.

Speaking of Ochem....

School (the boring stuff)
Right now, I'm working on finishing up Winter term of my Sophomore year before I can get to Worlds though! I'm studying Anatomy, Socio-Cultural Dimensions of Physical Activity, Human Nutrition, Organic Chemistry, and Introduction to Writing Centers. I have a lot on my plate, but I'm also continuing my work with Housing as a Resident Assistant (RA) as well as seeking out volunteer opportunities at the Corvallis Boys and Girls Club (I will be working as a tutor with middle school youth and maybe as a track coach during the Spring). Finally, I am looking to begin research with an assistant professor on campus (More details to come unless it's top secret)!


Check back around early March for my race review, and I'll cross-post it with Bibrave!

No comments:

Post a Comment