Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Connect Week

Wow! I took some time off because I was going to post at the end of Connect Week, and before I knew it I was swarmed with all this stuff to do!

Some notable things that happened during Connect Week!

Cupcakes and Clubs
This was an Engineering "party" where there was a plethora of delicious cupcakes and engineering clubs to join or check out. I think I will be joining the CBEE club, but I'm not entirely sure yet. I'll go to their ice cream social on Thursday, where we will be using liquid nitrogen to create ice cream. So cool.

Dixon Rec. Night
This would've been more fun if they had like dodgeball going on, but there was a bunch of clubs or intramural sports around OSU that came and presented. I gave my information to the Ultimate Frisbee team, Running Club, and the Triathlon club. Outside around nine they had laser tag, but I was way too tired to check it out. Maybe next time!

Symposium, Convocation, Picnic
Early one morning, we had a scholars symposium. I dragged my roommates along, and it was okay. We learned about how foreign exchange works, and really gained some insight on how that process all works. Turns out, choosing where you go wisely can make your tuition lower. It's hard to explain and would bore you out of your mind (if you aren't already!)
After the symposium was a thing called Convocation. We all met at the Memorial Union, received tassels that we keep until graduation (just to motivate us), and we walked the route we will in four years to Gill Coliseum. There we heard speeches from Ed Ray (the president) and other motivational speakers. I would've stayed until the end, but one of my roommates (Dereak) managed to forget his wallet in the dorm and needed let back in, so luckily I had an excuse to sneak out. This allowed me to get to the picnic on time, which served dry chicken for seven bucks... Kinda felt ripped off as well as the rest of OSU Freshman. But many sorority and fraternities were there as well as other clubs, so I am currently looking in to a zombie run that happens across campus. So cool. Zombies for life.

Friday Night Live
Finally my favorite event so far! This was free and I would've gladly paid the seven bucks from earlier! I got to the event early, and it was a blast! We were served fudge and cookies to our hearts content before filling in the auditorium. When we were all seated and satisfied, there was a quiz down. First person to stand up got to answer the question for a gift card. I managed to stand up on one that was stumping the crowd: Name four of the seven cultural centers. I managed to say Cezar Chavez Cultural Center in a terrible manner of pronunciation followed by the Asian American Pacific Islanders cultural center. Then I remembered the Native American long house and had trouble remembering the fourth. I said the African American cultural center, but they didn't accept that, and with a desperate last shot I said Black Cultural Center, which got enough laughs that they just gave it to me. So yeah: 25 dollar gift card to Bed, Bath and Beyond that I will probably never use.
After the quiz down was an awesome comedy club much like "Who's Line is it Anyway?" that I saw in the eighth grade: Comedy Sports. They made me laugh so hard that night that I may or may not have shed a tear.

Today was my first actual day of classes, so there will be a separate entry for that. Right now at 12:17 AM I am working on thawing a half gallon of milk that we accidentally froze and watching my roommates get absolutely trashed by Borderlands for Xbox. Glad to know I'm being productive. But alas, don't worry (Especially you Dad), I don't have classes at all tomorrow. Well, that's a life. I have COMM 111 Recitation at 4PM, so sleeping in for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment